Monday, 24 March 2014

Books

I was asked recently what books I read. Well almost anything, but not keen on Australian or Irish books, but there were exceptions even to that. I like Maeve Binchy. Anna Jacobs wrote a Trader series set in Australia which I liked. The story follows through several books and gives an insight into the life of the early settlers in Aus and the shipping of convicts to Aus.

I read Quintin Jardine's Bob Skinner, Oz Blackstone and Primivera Blackstone books, just finished reading the latest Primivera one, Peter Robinson's Inspector Banks books, MC Beaton Agatha Raisin and Hamish McBeth, Sue Grafton's Alphabet murders, Ian Rankin's Rebus. I also read extensive fiction by a number of authors. We go to the library most weeks and I usually take out at least 6 - 8 books.

Some of the authors:

Cathy Kelly, Josephine Cox, Barbara Taylor Bradford, Cathy Woodman and many more. If I find a series I like I will reserve the books, and occasionally read one twice depending on where it comes in the series. I find the library catalogue invaluable and also authors pages on the internet they give book lists in the order in which they were published.

There is a series of books by Jennifer Chaverine, they are about a group of quilters in the US. I was introduced to them by a quilting friend and as a quilter myself really enjoy them. She has recently struck out in a new direction in American fictional history. Whether she plans to write any more of the Elm Creek Quilter books I do not know. I keep an eye on her internet page for new titles. I have to admit I have bought these books and if I am short of something to read, will go back and read them again.

My taste in books is eclectic......as you can see.

5 comments:

  1. Mom and I love the Hamish McBeth series. Right now I am reading Elizabeth George but her latest two books were quite disappointing. I kept with it and still did not like them. But both were better than the movie Gravity that thankfully we got from the library. No story at all, just special effects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ta for such an interesting post about the books you enjoy reading! I will note these authors to see if the UK authors are in our library, I have read the Elm Creek Quilt books and hope to see more of them in the future and have read several of Sue Grafton's Alphabet books. Barbara Taylor Bradford is another favorite author of mine but many of the others you listed are new to me.

    I also enjoy Kate Morton's varied books (not a series) and Louise Penny's series.

    Today I may run to the library since I've finished my books and rain is likely tomorrow.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just finishing up the Agatha Raisin series then I think I may start on M.C. Beaton's Hamish MacBeth stories. Did you find them as good as the Agatha Raisin books? I have really enjoyed those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you go to the library most weeks and take out 7 or 8 books does that mean you usually read a book a day?

    I'd love to be able to read so much but don't have the time and when I do sit I find I start nodding off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you posted about your books because I have been curious too! I did not know Jennifer Chiaverini had another series out so I have them on reserve at our library. I use the bookmobile and it used to come every other week but with budget cuts it's been reduced to once a month - not nearly enough!

    You may have seen this site but if not it's the one I use to check out authors and series order. It sounds like your library catalog is better than ours so you may not need it. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. I do read them all. I may choose not to publish them all however.