Thursday, 18 December 2014

Out

with hot sausage rolls this morning for the U3A meeting. sketches and songs based around the 100th anniversary of the first world war, given by the guitar and drama group. It was very entertaining.

Afterwards there was a buffet of Christmas type goodies and cups of tea or coffee.

I linked up with another lady for the quilting group. so I have only 3 places left. Will see what happens at the groups showcase next month.

Quite cold and very windy, there did not appear to have been any overnight rain.

At last DH has had a sort of lightbulb moment. he has just woken up to the fact that when he shuffles off this mortal coil I will be left with very little dosh. ( he will be fine if I go first)So he has decided we need to put our name down for sheltered housing so I have some security. I will not be able to afford to stay in this house, even with HB etc, paying the utilities etc will leave me with very little money to actually live. Because I was a civil servant I have a pension which will bar me from pension credit. As a married woman I get my pension based on my husband contributions and a small amount from when I worked after the children were old enough for me to go back to work.


I have pointed out that we will have to do a drastic downsize, as we will only be allocated a single bedroom flat or bungalow......he is a great rubbish keeper. There are books on Scotland in the book case he has never had out. They have to go. We need to make enough room in the one book case to take all his and my books. I will also have to sort through my cookery and quilting books, I am allocated just one shelf for my books, When I look round it is obvious that I am going to have to start now. We may well have to wait up to 2 years before we get offered a place.......but the stuff has to go.

I have over 1000 photos in albums in the attic, I am going to try and scan them in montages as store them on an external hard drive.

After just moving 6 months ago the thought of sorting through the contents of the house and deciding what can go is daunting but needs must.

Fingers crossed that the fridge freezer and washer do not need replacing any time soon.

Again we have the lights on in the sitting room....it will be nice when the nights start drawing out a bit.

2 comments:

  1. What a sensible decision .. just imagine how difficult and awful it would be to start sorting and rehoming stuff on your own in an emergancy situation.
    Like you say it will all take time .. but I'd be all for being prepared for when a bungalow becomes available.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read you blog for just over a year though not commented. My husband and I made the decision to do the same thing 2 years ago it has taken some time to get sorted we were lucky to get a one bedroomed bungerlow with its own garden, we each have a shed in the garden mine as a sewing room his foe all his projects

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. I do read them all.