Sunday, 11 October 2015

Explanations

The village feast is a charity function, we have a hospice in the area which the village raises funds for, so although the meal was free there was a bowl at the door as you went out to put donations in. You never know when you might need their services, so we were pleased to have been able to go along and support the hospice.

Our village is a very old one, mentioned in the Doomsday book, there are a number of families who have lived in and around the village for generations. More recently farms have sold land for development, and in a couple of cases old houses have been demolished to make way for new ones. They were too expensive for locals, hence the commuter bit. People who wanted village life but work in nearby towns came in. We do not want to be 'king of the pile' just be recognised as residents in the village.

When we walk down to the post office people speak, 'hello' or 'nice day' but thats it, no other contact. We thought by entering the show and going to the feast it would allow us to meet new people. I am afraid I am not very good at going up to people and saying 'I am .... who are you?' 

The chap who laid our turf said he had been in the village for 20 years and was just about classed as a villager. I of course, did upset the locals somewhat by walking off with the prize's in the village show....tough, I entered something I had made and it won so........we live in the village and as far as possible contribute to the economy of the village by using local tradesmen. OK I do not do my shopping at the village shop, its too expensive and the stock is very limited, but we can and do patronise the post office on the basis of 'use it or lose it'. I have also been known to buy the odd thing from the shop in an emergency.

I know, having been brought up in a village, that villagers can and are very insular and parochial, but they should also be open to welcome new people, especially those who want to, and do, contribute to village life. It is a favourite soap box of mine having received the same treatment in East Linton when we lived there. 

Better get off my soap box now.

Its a fine but chilly morning. DB is muttering about gardening, I am saying nothing........

I need to sort out a dessert. I thought I might resurrect my pastry making skills and make a bakewell tart or something similar.  It was last Christmas when I last made pastry for mince pies. I could do with a couple of pastry cases in the freezer for quiche. I also need to clean out and relay the fire for tonight. I usually light it around supper time.

Update

I am crackered, have just spent the most of the morning baking. Scones, bakewell tart, 2 pastry cases to put in the freezer, a mincemeat turnover and a lemon drizzle cake!! DB has been in the garden, its a lovely clear but cold day although its not cold in the bungalow with the sun coming in through the front window. It helps to keep the sitting and bedroom warm.

Feet up for the rest of the afternoon, have the supper on automatic pilot, the chicken legs I jointed from the chicken last week. 


7 comments:

  1. Love your blog, and I know very well how difficult it is to be recognised when you live in a parochial village. I always point out to villagers that they are very, very lucky to have lived in one place all their lives. Everything and everyone is familiar, your children and grand children probably attend the same school that you attended and the memories of the village history is so precious. I also point out that not living in one place expands the mind and makes for a less opinionated outlook. Ask other villagers how they would feel if they were just put into a strange place to live. On the other hand, having lived all over the country, I moved to Haworth in 1982, what a lovely welcome. We were all greeted as fellow villagers and anything we did not know was explained to us. I think it was because the village gets a lot of visitors coming to see the Bronte parsonage etc., so anyone who actually lives her is a villager. End of. I think you winning at the show probably put a few noses out of joint, but the people who put you through to win must have been villagers? Much love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had an attack of the Great British Baking Show. It is wonderful and I cannot wait to get home and see the last two episodes. One of the best competititions on TV. Ana usa (we get home from California tomorrow night.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take no notice of them Anne - just keep taking those prizes from under their noses! Plus you supported a worthwhile charity xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for answering my questions. You are a very honest writer. It makes me rather sad to think that there are so many small minded unwelcoming people about in this day and age. The small village that I grew up in has grown over the years with so many more houses etc. that I do not think this is a problem. Having said that the one thing I liked when I moved to America was the open welcome by people. I do think the donations for Hospice is spot on.

    I do enjoy reading your blog because it is so true to life.

    Your Sunday has indeed very busy. Your baking always sounds so nice. Would love to meet you for a cup of tea and a natter.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ta for the explanation about the support for Hospice and the insular nature of village life for some long-time residents. It is a shame that the long-timers don't feel the need to pleasantly welcome newcomers. New residents do ensure that the village will go on when the long-time residents are gone.

    You must be crackers after all of the standing, stirring, and baking you've done today but don't you have a lovely array of scrumptious pastries to put to good use in the future and other yummy things to enjoy in the coming days. Hope you're feeling better after your well deserved rest.

    It's a sunny, cool day here and the temperature at 8a was 48*F.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this. Well done for going to the benefit and dealing with the coldness. I live in a very insular area where people only socialize with their relatives. Neither my husband nor I are related to anyone. I hate it but our business is here and it is not moveable. I love your blog and if I could sew one tenth of your skill I would be very pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done with the prizes , That's put the click of villagers in there place lol , I always use my pastry skills , Its the only skill i came out of school with , Oh and map reading and i dont use that much now with sat navs , I have the chance of some free cookers today so will be filling the freezer with apple pies xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. I do read them all.