Just after 10am the chap arrived, so cover on the carpet and fibre glass up the chimney to stop any soot falls. Apparently the cowl thats on the chimney was not fitted properly and has collapsed, which is one reason why the chimney is not drawing well. The chap also told us that we can get a multifuel stove that will fit into the fireplace without us having to have everything removed. Something to think about. That was a bit of a surprise. Our chimney also will not need a liner, so watch this space, this time next year the sitting room may look different.
The chap told us that the original pot had slipped down and was resting on the blocks that form the chimney. The cowl on the top and not been put on correctly and had in fact collapsed onto the top of the pot, no wonder the chimney was not drawing.
The pot on the ground
And on the chimney
The bit they cut off we get to keep.
Really miserable day, the kitchen storage heater worked ok but the sitting room one was hardly warm, so we have asked for someone to come out and check the heaters. The hall and bedroom ones are still switched off.
I lit the fire about 5pm, it started to draw straight away, brilliant.
Not done much during the day. I spent the afternoon reading.
My quilting friend phoned, its the Malvern Show this weekend, so she is going on Friday, My visit has been put back a week.