Thursday, 10 November 2016

Oh My Goodness

At the hospital this morning, pacemaker clinic running half an hour behind time......brilliant......eventually got seen and have to go back in 6 months.

Then to the cardiac clinic which was running an hour behind time!! Echo showed I have coronary heart failure........not the just right side but the left as well. How can this happen when I have been taking statins for over 20 years??? You tell me. The Dr kept asking me if I have ever had a heart attack, well I think I would know if I had......

I have to have an MRI scan of my heart, there is talk of changing my present pacemaker for one with a defibrillator built in and I have to go onto several more drugs. So my visit was not a good one. We eat a good diet, the right amount of fruit and veg etc, but obviously that has not helped me. 

We were going to go shopping, but I was so shell shocked I decided we should come home and have some lunch. We have to go into Melton tomorrow to collect the turkey, so we will go to  Lidl for the groceries.

It was very frosty overnight, but it had cleared by the time we left for the hospital, on the way home it was very black over the north of the county and as we dropped down into the valley there was a double rainbow and it was hitting a farmhouse, the front of it was amazing to see.

Heating on, had not cleaned out the fire, so it will have to wait for tomorrow now. looks like my cleaning routine will have to alter a bit, and so will the grass cutting. I am wondering if I might be able to get attendance allowance, I know they want to abolish it, will have to see what the Dr says. I will have to go and get the medication when the letter comes through from the hospital. So far apart from getting breathless walking, it has not affected me too much, but that can change very rapidly.

15 comments:

  1. Dear lady, what a shock for you. Remember that the heart is a muscle and like all muscles it gets tired sometimes, think of your legs when you walk up a steep hill. I am sure that with the right medication and the defibrillator you will feel a lot better and safer. I have often marvelled at your varied diet so I am sure you have been doing the right things with your diet. Take it easy, then carry on gently and when tired . . . rest. Have you been given a GTN spray? Try not to worry and listen to your body. Love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to read this. You have been doing all the right things. Look after yourself. Love and prayers winging your way x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is my first time to comment. In regards to your statement about not having a heart attack. Our 50 yo DS head quad heart bypass surgery this past Apr. Never had a heart attack but now has CHF. The cardiologist said he had actually been having heart attacks for as much as twenty years that were disguised as indigestion. He now takes meds for that as if he has heartburn while on the meds he knows if may be a heart attack and to head to the nearest hospital. Love reading your blog as we were stationed with the US Air Force in Beds. back in the late 70's. Loved our time there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You dont need the doc re attendance allowance. You can either send for the forms or download them. Just google attendance allowance. I would advise an appointment with CAB who are great at helping you to fill in forms. I think you should get it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearie me! What a bother to find things inside are a bit amiss when you'd been feeling pretty good. Is there a family history of heart bothers? That kind of thing in your genes can catch up with you no matter how healthy your diet and exercise routine is. Hope this unwelcome news doesn't get you down. Wishing you WELL!

    Have just packed up a calendar I need to mail back to the web site as it's too large for the wall space where it needs to go. Bother!

    Have done nothing on the 3rd little star quilt so I should be ashamed of myself.

    It's sunny and cool here today. Wish you'd had your camera with you as that double rainbow you saw must have been amazing. Perhaps it was there just for you!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear this, what a shock. You are so active, although perhaps it explains why you feel tired sometimes. I hope they can find a drug regime that suits you, and that your general health continues to be good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne, my mother was unaware of her coronary heart and never knew she had had a heart attack until a routine scan & tests after she'd had a "funny turn" one day. A woman's heart attack gives some different symptoms to a man, the BHF website is very informative.

    My mum had 4 angioplasties, one a year from being 68, plus a GTN spray when her later angina bothered her. She had a cleaner, window cleaner & gardener and I washed her bedding (we lived 5 minute walk apart), but she lived alone in a detached house until her death at 75. I am sure with some serious thought, planning and readjustments, you and your DB will be able to manage your lives in a way that will allow you to be as active as your health will allow, and not one where managing all your own chores has left you too weary to do the things you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear this news. Hopefully everything will work out well for you with a different pacemaker. Be kind to yourself and slow down when your body tells you to do so.
    You are in my thoughts and prayers. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear Anne that is a shocker - definitely try for Attendance Allowance and try to slow down a little while they get you sorted out xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good Grief. I'm so sorry to hear this. You guys have had a rough year. I know you're thinking...What's next? Prayers life takes a turn for the better. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately the typical English diet is not heart friendly. Sugar and carbohydrates ( bread, pastry,pasta,potatoes,cake) are the main culprits and cause inflammation in the blood vessels. It is not too much fat as was originally thought. There is a lot of info on line about it. Also eating more than a handful of food at meals over loads the body.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to read this. Sending hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a shock for you, I'm sorry to hear this.
    Is the condition hereditary as you seem to do all the right things i.e. drugs, healthy eating etc.,

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's not always down to something you have done or not done. I've had a heart condition since I was 43 and high blood pressure since I was 37. They haven't found a reason for either, other than a strong family history of cardio vascular disease and that's something I have no control over.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry you have had this news about your heart. Does your cardiologist know about the terrible loss of your son? There is a condition known as Broken Heart Syndrome which can cause cardiomyopathy: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/Cardiomyopathy/Is-Broken-Heart-Syndrome-Real_UCM_448547_Article.jsp#.WChE0i0rLZ4

    I hope that soon you will have effective treatment and feel well.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving your comment. I do read them all. I may choose not to publish them all however.